As summer approaches, you may be looking forward to your family vacation to a beach house, or maybe a destination that you have never been before. A little pre-planning will go a long way to make certain all goes as planned.
Leaving your home – whether off to a regular summer spot or some exotic locale, take time to secure your home:
- Make sure the alarm is on, and that doors and windows are locked;
- Have a neighbor or friend stop by daily to grab your mail;
- Discontinue the newspaper service;
- Turn off your water main: 93% of water damage claims are preventable;
- And please do not advertise to thieves that you are away with postings on Facebook or Twitter. Kids too!
- Take a moment to visit our December holiday newsletter for more tips.
Where you are going – if you are vacationing at the family beach house you most likely have the routine down, so preparation may be simple. If you are traveling to a site that you are unfamiliar with, maybe exotic, a little extra prep work will make sure the time away is most enjoyable. Things to consider:
- Do you speak the language?
- Are you renting a car, or a boat? Be sure you understand your insurance;
- Do not dress like a tourist;
- Use ATM’s in secure locations only;
- Don’t be lax, secure your passport, license and credit cards;
- Is the medical care at your destination strong?
Many of the top insurance companies, like Chubb, provide a wealth of information and links to organize your travel issues. Visit www.chubb.com/travelprotected to make sure you are fully prepared.