After a hectic holiday season, there is nothing better than a vacation with family to celebrate the coming New Year. That might mean leaving your home unattended for a week or more. So we present to you the Before You Leave Checklist to keep your home safe, because leaving your home well protected is a good foundation for a memorable vacation.
- Stop the newspaper and don’t let them pile up in your driveway.
- Have the post office hold mail or have a friend collect for you.
- Let your immediate neighbors know you will be gone, especially if you leave high school or college aged children behind. It takes minutes for a small gathering to become a large, unsupervised party.
- Set your thermostat no lower than 55 if your home will be unoccupied.
- Arrange for snow removal.
- Update your alarm system. An easily installed Wi-Fi enabled sensor can send immediate notice of low temperatures or a water leak to your smartphone or alarm company.
- Consider cameras with motion sensors that notify you via smartphone app of any activity – our favorite is Blink: https://blinkforhome.com
- Do not leave car keys easily accessible, or better yet, get Trackr to keep you informed where your cars are: https://secure.thetrackr.com
- Use a timer for lights to cycle on and off.
- Use a safety deposit box or safe for valuables or keep them well hidden and out of view.
- Avoid posting photos or updates of your vacation on Facebook or Twitter while you are away.
Hopefully these timely tips will keep you one step more secure while you are away.
Happy Holidays from Shepard Insurance Group